Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pump Antics

Here are a few random diabetes moments that only a D parent would understand. 

TJ came home from school after the first day and said we had to change his pump settings.  I said, "Why, what's wrong?"  He said, "Well, it beeped in class and everyone said, What's that?"  "So, what did you do?"  I said, "Oops."  So, we changed it to vibrate and now, instead of beeping, you can hear him giggling everytime it is done giving him a bolus because the vibration tickles his tummy! 

I walked into my classroom yesterday where a large note sat on my desk.  "Mom, I have no delivery!  I am in science! "  While, this in itself is not funny, the teacher who was with me read it over my shoulder and asked if Taya was expecting me to bring her a package at school!  She seemed quite shocked at this prospect!    Of course, isn't that what a non-D person would think!  But, no, in this case it meant her pump wasn't giving her insulin.  I had forgotten to tell her that I had the set changes in my computer bag.  So, I got her out of class (the benefit to teaching where she goes to school!) and luckily all that was required was a new set.  My mind was already busy calculating all the activities she had ahead and how doing shots for even 24 hours while we waited for a replacement was going to be such a pain!  We have come a long way!

TJ's new words to the song "Stereo Hearts" by Adam Levine and Gym Class Heroes:
     My pump's a pancreas.  It vibrates for you so listen close.  Here's my blood sugar, you should know.  Oh Oh!  Listen up when you feel low. 

TJ's first day with a pump, he, Tylie and I went to the mall.  He said, "Oh, I would really like a slushy."  (Insert appropriate sad face here.)  Tylie took his hand and said, "Well, my brother- that is the joy of the pump!"  So off they skipped to get a slushy and it wasn't even snack time! 

And, while I think we are typically pretty able to find humor in many situations that exist only because we live with diabetes, how cool would it be if we just flat out didn't have these situations anymore?  When Tylie was diagnosed in 2000, our doctor said in 10 years things would be so different.  At first, we did 3 shots a day which we drew up out of a vial.  In the morning we had to make a cocktail of cloudy and clear.  We had to plan everything around the peaks and valleys of the insulin dose.  Then, along came Lantis and we switched to an insulin pen- which at time they called the "poor man's pump."  This was followed by their first insulin pumps which dropped the 6-8 shots a day down to 1 set change a week!  My mom sent me this link today- makes you wonder what the next 10 years will bring! 

http://www.sanfordhealth.org/Stories/View/0285c0b3-e42f-49be-9e04-fcc451cc22d5

No comments:

Post a Comment