Monday, November 14, 2011

All in This Together

We have had two diabetes related appointments in the last 5 days.  Tylie went last week and met with the Diabetes Educator.  It wasn't a good meeting and it wasn't a bad meeting.  Her A1c was exactly the same.  Now, I would love for that number to go down a little bit, but it isn't horrible.  Taya had an appointment today with the Nurse Practitioner that manages their pumps.  Again, it wasn't a good meeting or a bad meeting.  Her A1c went down .3, which isn't much as it still has a way to go.  However, going into each appointment, both girls already had a pretty good idea what the professionals were going to tell them.  They need to be more diligent.  This is the part that kills me.  I know that being a teenager is hard just by itself.  The teenage brain is forgetful, this is what science tells us anyway.  This same 'forgetful' tendency that drives me crazy when the forget to sweep or dust or take out the garbage or do their homework- breaks my heart when they forget to test their blood sugar or bolus for food.  I understand the science behind it, I just hate it.  Overall, the girls are very responsible. They have decent grades, they work hard in their chosen activities, they help with their younger siblings.  They don't make bad choices as a rule.  Just this weekend Tylie went to go pick up a friend that found herself in an uncomfortable position after she herself had chosen not to stay because she "had a feeling" it wasn't going to go well.  I am very proud of them because I have seen other children with chronic illnesses make some really bad choices- some would call it rebelling- as teenagers.  I know there are many (most) days they are angry and dislike being attached to a machine.  But, they persevere. 

We have reached a stage in diabetes management where I have to let them find their own way.  They have to live with this for the rest of their lives for all we know today so they need to find a way to manage it that works for them.  Sometimes they get into a routine that works and we have some A+ days.  Other times, they get sucked into 'life' and diabetes management suffers.  As the parent, I still ask if they checked each day, upload their pumps on occasion to keep them honest, but I too get sucked into life.  They have become so responsible, that there are days that I take it for granted they are taking care of themselves.  After TJ's last appointment when he had the perfect A1c, he showed it to the girls and their response was, "Mom does it for you, of course it's good."  That was a reminder to me that I need to stay more involved.  They might be as tall as me and drive their own cars, but they are still kids.  Even when they look at me with the rolled eyes, or talk to me in that bored, annoyed voice- it's my job to check on them.  Which, kinda stinks actually because if you have ever parented a teenager you know that they think you are an annoying idiot most of the time!  Chasing after them asking if they checked their blood sugar or if they have emergency supplies with them does not win me any brownie points, let me tell you!  But, they can spend hours doing their hair or deciding what to wear.  It seems it should be easy to find 30 seconds to check blood sugar and bolus as needed.  We are working toward a balance.  I will watch them do finger pokes in the morning and at bedtime.  If we are together at supper, I will police that, too.  The rest of the time, I have to trust (and maybe send a friendly text reminder or two) that they are making good decisions and following through.  TJ has agreed to assist me with the morning reminders and if I am on the road with one kid or another then it's dad's job!  We truly are all in this together.  This is not going to be easy as we start our busiest time of year but the next A1c is 3 months away and my goal is a 1 point drop for each of them!  I think it's an appropriate goal for World Diabetes Day.

These are the insulin angels that Tylie and TJ made at our last support group get together.  I thought it would be appropriate to post the picture today in honor of all the Dkids that are alive today because of the discovery of insulin (Thanks, Dr. Banting!) and all the angels in their lives that help us fight the battle every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment